Tips for Finding a Gastroenterologist Near Me
The human gastrointestinal system is among the most important mechanisms of the body and includes such necessary organs as the esophagus, pancreas, gallbladder, stomach, small bowel, and colon. Difficulties in the gastrointestinal (GI system) can affect how your body absorbs vitamins and minerals and excretes stool. If you are having distressing symptoms connected to your gastrointestinal wellness, it is likely time to seek out a specialist. Adult Gastroenterology Associates in Tulsa, OK is your source for reliable gastroenterology services.
What is a GI specialist and what do they do?
A gastroenterologist is a medical doctor that concentrates on treating the digestive system and liver. A GI doctor helps support an individual's gastrointestinal wellness and treats conditions, including:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (spastic colon)
- Hepatic steatosis (fatty liver disease)
- Colon cancer and colon polyps
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (heartburn)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity
When should I see a GI doctor for my digestive health?
If you are experiencing problems that stem from your gastrointestinal system, such as stomach pain, difficulty swallowing, persistent heartburn, or irregular bowel habits, it is essential to arrange for a consultation with a GI specialist as soon as possible. It is also crucial to arrange regular checkups with a gastroenterologist for preventive care and colorectal cancer screenings beginning at 45 years of age.
How to locate a qualified GI specialist near me
Seeking out a physician may seem like a daunting process, but Adult Gastroenterology Associates in Tulsa, OK is available to help. The following tips can get you started on your search for a gastroenterologist near you.
- Request a suggestion from your primary care doctor. Because they're your primary line of defense for any health troubles you have, your general medical physician is a helpful resource for nearby GI specialists.
- Search your insurance company's network for a covered gastroenterology physician. To help keep your out-of-pocket expenses within reason, look through your insurance company's list of providers or call your insurance representative for a directory of local gastrointestinal specialists.
- Ask your friends or relatives for suggestions. If someone in your life also has GI problems, they may guide you in the direction of a reliable Tulsa, OK gastrointestinal doctor. Ask your friends and relatives who they visit for their digestive health concerns and their colon cancer screenings.
- Check your gastroenterology doctor’s training. Before scheduling an appointment with a GI doctor, do some investigation into their specialties and credentials. Learn where they received their training and the amount of time they have been practicing. Also, research patient feedback to find out what patients have said regarding their visit with a particular gastroenterology doctor.
- Book an appointment. Once you have dwindled down your search substantially, reach out to your chosen gastrointestinal doctor and set up a visit. As soon as you meet with them, focus on how they communicate with you and how they make you feel during the appointment. Selecting a doctor who focuses on your comfort and safety can help you feel more confident in the care they provide.
Need to find a gastroenterologist in Tulsa, OK?
Forming a relationship with a qualified gastroenterologist can help you protect your GI health and total wellness. The physicians at Adult Gastroenterology Associates take an individualized approach to digestive health needs and are committed to your well-being, security, and providing a positive experience. To schedule your consultation, please contact our Tulsa, OK gastroenterology practice today.