What Are the Common Signs and Symptoms of Poor Gut Health?
Worrisome symptoms, such as abdominal pain, ongoing diarrhea, or unplanned weight changes, can be more than a mere inconvenience. Should you experience frequent symptoms of poor GI health, you could be afflicted with a GI illness. Don’t ignore the symptoms of poor digestive health. If you face symptoms that are different, like a fluctuation in bowel habits or food cravings, bring it to the attention of a board-certified gastrointestinal physician in Tulsa, OK. By talking with a provider at Adult Gastroenterology Associates, you can identify problems in your digestive tract and learn how to improve your general quality of living.
What are common symptoms of poor gut health?
It’s normal for most people to get an occasional belly ache or have periodic heartburn from time to time. Chronic trouble with gastrointestinal tract symptoms could mean that something is affecting your gut health. When you experience any of the following symptoms persistently, it can be a result of an unhealthy gut:
- Mood changes: Depression and anxiety may be a result of poor GI health.
- Stomach discomfort: Constant gas, bloating, or constipation could mean that your digestive system is having problems breaking down food and eliminating waste products.
- Food cravings: Strong desires for certain foods, such as sugar, may be a symptom of an imbalance in GI bacteria or nutritional deficiency.
- Change in stool: If there has been a difference in the consistency or color of your stool, such as if you have loose or light-colored stools, then it might be time to consult a medical provider.
- Unintended weight changes: An inexplicable, sudden loss or gain in weight could signal your body is struggling to absorb nutrients, store fat, or get rid of waste.
- Migraines: Headaches may indicate that something is happening in the gastrointestinal system, particularly if nausea and vomiting also occur.
- Autoimmune issues: Imbalanced GI bacteria can cause issues with autoimmune conditions.
- Skin irritations/allergies: Inflammatory skin issues, including psoriasis, eczema, and acne, have been connected to gut health.
- Fatigue: Experiencing exhaustion all the time could be due to trouble with your GI system's ability to absorb nutrients.
In the event you have any of the symptoms mentioned here, or other symptoms of concern, such as frequent acid reflux or blood in your stool, please schedule an appointment with one of our digestive health specialists in Tulsa, OK to have your digestive health checked.
What conditions or diseases could cause poor GI health?
The signs and symptoms you experience may be indicative of a concerning GI health condition. Some of the conditions that can result in the symptoms listed above are:
- Cancer: Cancer in the GI tract, like colorectal cancer and gastric cancer, can result in significant issues in the digestive system.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: Conditions like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis lead to inflammation in the GI tract.
- Celiac disease: The body’s immune system response to gluten causes harm to the small bowel.
How can I improve my gut health?
While it is important to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you are encouraged to talk with a medical provider if you are having issues that could indicate poor GI health. An Adult Gastroenterology Associates specialist will be able to let you know if a more significant condition needs to be assessed or if any lifestyle enhancements could help you improve your gut health. Any of the following changes could be advised by your physician:
- Quit smoking
- Add probiotics to your diet
- Exercise regularly
- Drink plenty of water
- Monitor for food intolerances
- Eat more fiber
- Get 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night
Find care for poor GI health in Tulsa, OK
If you experience signs or symptoms of poor gastrointestinal health, it may indicate a more significant medical problem. We implore you to not disregard any signals your body is conveying through an upset stomach, food cravings, and unintended weight changes. To best understand and detect any digestive disorders, you can consult a GI physician in Tulsa, OK. To locate a skilled gastroenterologist near you, please contact Adult Gastroenterology Associates. By partnering with our team, you can expect patient-centric care to help you manage and enhance your gut wellness which, in turn, could help you enjoy a better standard of living.