Gallbladder Disease in Tulsa, OK
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
Located in the upper abdomen, the gallbladder stores and regulates the release of bile to help with the breakdown of foods during digestion. Gallbladder disease pertains to a variety of issues and diseases that negatively impact the gallbladder. These issues include:
- Biliary dyskinesia: Lower than normal gallbladder function.
- Gallstones: Hard pieces of material that can occlude the path to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Choledocholithiasis: A condition where a gallstone becomes trapped in the exit passageway of the gallbladder. In the event this forms, the gallbladder can become inflamed.
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Chronic inflammation and damage to the bile duct system that results in scar tissue developing.
- Cholecystitis: An inflammation of the gallbladder that is usually a result of gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder can diminish in size and lose the capability to release bile.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder develops inflammation without the presence of gallstones.
If you are experiencing any of the conditions listed above, we recommend consulting a gastroenterology specialist about your treatment options. At Adult Gastroenterology Associates, our providers can deliver the services you require. To get treatment for gallbladder disease in Tulsa, OK, please reach out to one of our office locations near you to request a consultation.
What causes gallbladder disease?
Most gallbladder conditions come from the development of gallstones, which occurs when cholesterol and other substances found in liver bile clot and create hard, stone-like particles. A patient may also have tumors that keep the bile from draining correctly, blood vessel issues, or an infection. Regardless of the cause of your gallbladder disease, you can find specialized help at an Adult Gastroenterology Associates location near you. We can assess your problem and guide you to the best treatment for you.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Symptoms will present differently in each person. The most common symptoms of gallbladder disease include:
- Throwing up
- Pain that spreads to your right shoulder or back
- Abdomen tender to the touch
- Significant abdominal pain, particularly in the center or upper right abdomen
If you are experiencing one or more of the GI symptoms mentioned above, don't hesitate to contact an Adult Gastroenterology Associates gastroenterologist today to request a consultation.
What treatments are available for gallbladder disease?
The best way to prevent gallstones is to remain at an ideal weight, lose weight slowly if recommended, and maintain a healthy way of life. Certain gallbladder diseases can be detected through a simple ultrasound. In some cases, your provider may suggest further imaging, like a CT scan or an MRI. When treatment for gallbladder disease is necessary, treatment options could include:
- Removal of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy)
- Medications to help dissolve gallstones
- Fasting for a certain time period (which can allow an inflamed gallbladder to rest and decrease inflammation)
- Pain medications
If you or a loved one need treatment for gallbladder disease in Tulsa, OK, our skilled team can help you explore your options for care.
Seek treatment for gallbladder disease
Gallbladder conditions, such as gallstones, cholecystitis, and biliary dyskinesia, can be identified and treated by a skilled GI provider at an Adult Gastroenterology Associates location near you. If you experience troubling symptoms associated with your GI tract, it is important for you to connect with a gastroenterology provider in your area to be assessed for conditions like gallbladder disease. As a physician-led network of gastroenterologists, we are well-equipped with modern, innovative treatment solutions for individuals suffering from gallbladder disease. To locate a skilled gastroenterologist who offers care for gallbladder disease in Tulsa, OK, contact a location in your area today.
Love Dr. C. Very caring.
Dr Nightengale is a great doctor and truly cares about you.
Dr. Volak made me feel comfortable in discussing my issues. His confidence made me feel at ease. Would recommend his services to everyone.
Dr Stanton was excellent in making you feel comfortable and understanding the procedure. Developed a good patient/Doctor relationship.